World-class healthcare facilities to serve the Rocky Mountain West.
Metro Denver serves as the regional medical center of the Rocky Mountain West. The area is home to major hospitals and research centers providing care in virtually every major healthcare specialty, including emergency/trauma, respiratory, pediatrics, orthopedics/rehabilitation, cancer, neurology, and cardiology. This high demand for healthcare services has resulted in the expansion and construction of several new facilities throughout the region.
Fitzsimons Life Science District
The former Fitzsimons Army Medical Center in Aurora was redeveloped into the 578-acre Fitzsimons Life Science District, the nation’s largest scientific and medical-related redevelopment project. Fitzsimons includes the 170-acre Colorado Science + Technology Park. Modeled after three successful research parks on the east coast, the Park provides opportunities, equipment, facilities, and resources for early-stage and startup research-oriented biotechnology, drug, and medical device development. Established companies can utilize the full-range of resources to operate and grow.
Adjacent to Fitzsimons is the 227-acre Anschutz Medical Campus, which offers administrative and teaching functions, as well as clinical and research programs. The Anschutz Medical Campus is one of the nation’s top academic medical centers and is the heart of an active complex of laboratories, clinics, hospitals, classrooms, and offices. New facilities at the campus include:
- University of Colorado Denver - The initial phase of the the University of Colorado Denver's $1.4 billion move to the Anschutz Medical Campus, including relocation of all teaching, clinical, and research programs, was completed in 2007. The University of Colorado Denver is one of the nation’s top academic medical centers. CU Denver also built a new Health and Wellness Center, which was completed in 2012.
- University of Colorado Hospital – The University of Colorado Hospital, a teaching hospital affiliated with the University of Colorado Denver, opened its new $644 million, 820,000-square-foot facility at the Anschutz Medical Campus in 2007. The hospital announced in June 2010 a $400 million expansion on the campus that added 1,000 new jobs. The hospital also is planning a $20 million expansion of the University of Colorado Cancer Center. In 2011, the hospital was named the top-performing academic hospital in the country.
- Children’s Hospital Colorado - Located on 48 acres, the new $458 million state-of-the-art hospital, with 1.4 million square feet, opened in 2007. Children's launched a $228 million expansion that will add 124 new beds. Upon projected completion by the end of 2012, the addition is expected to bring at least 500 new jobs to the hospital's workforce of 4,000. Separately, Children's is developing a $6.4 million child-care center that it will share with other occupants of the Aurora campus.
- U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs Hospital – The country’s newest $1.1 billion veteran’s hospital broke ground in August 2009 and will open at the Anschutz Medical Campus in 2015.
Nationally recognized healthcare facilities
America's Best Hospitals 2012 by U.S. News and World Report:
- National Jewish Health - Named the nation's top respiratory hospital for the 14th straight year.
- Craig Hospital - Ranked seventh in rehabilitation for the 22nd consecutive year.
- The University of Colorado Hospital - Tied first in pulmonary care, 17th in rheumatology, 33rd in cancer care, 42nd in nephrology, and 48th in diabetes and endocrinology.
- The Children’s Hospital - Ranked fourth in diabetes and endocrinology, and sixth in pulmonology, and eighth in cancer care.
New facility construction
- St. Anthony Central Hospital opened at the Federal Center in Lakewood in 2011.
- Phase One of Centura Health's Castle Rock Adventist Health Campus opened in 2011. The first phase includes a full-service emergency room and imaging center, and a 50-bed hospital will open in a second phase slated for completeion in 2013.
- Exempla Saint Joeseph Hospital is undergoing a $583 million expansion and renovation of its Denver facilities and is the largest healthcare construction project in the nation.