One bounce away from the rest of the world.
Metro Denver is the headquarters or is home to major regional operations for Comcast, Level 3 Communications, CenturyLink, and numerous other high-profile telecommunications companies. Cable, DSL, and other high-speed services are broadly available throughout the region.
CNBC ranked Denver No. 5 in 2011 on its list of "America's Most Wired Cities," ranking highly for access options and the number of high-speed Internet providers. Nearly 100 percent of households in Metro Denver have access to broadband services that meet the National Broadband Availability Target.
- Satellite - Metro Denver's unique geographic location in the Mountain time zone makes it the largest city in the United States to offer one-bounce satellite uplinks. This provides companies with real-time connections to six of seven continents in one business day.
- Subscription TV - Metro Denver is the birthplace of the cable television industry. The industry evolved from pioneering companies such as Tele-Communications, Inc. (TCI) and Jones Intercable and now includes Time Warner Cable, Comcast, DISH Network, and others. The Cable Center, located on the University of Denver campus, provides education, training, and research in all aspects of cable telecommunications.
- Voice and Data Services - Metro Denver businesses and households have access to numerous providers that offer landline and wireless phone services and high-speed Internet service. The region has more than 30 long-distance providers for intraLATA calls, or long distance calls within a local access transport area (LATA). Metro Denver's extensive fiber optic network allows the flow of voice and data traffic at lower prices.
- Data Centers - Thanks to its thriving economy and low risk of natural disasters, Metro Denver is also an attractive location for high-tech data centers. Centers for several private companies and government entities are located throughout the region.
- WiFi - The Downtown Denver Partnership launched the Downtown Denver WiFi Zone, providing wireless Internet at all points along the 16th Street Mall and in Skyline Park.