Energetic minds driving an innovation economy
World-class research universities set the stage for innovation
Colorado's world-class research institutions are leaders for funding and turning out scientific and research talent:
- The University of Colorado System
- Colorado School of Mines
- Colorado State University
Consider these facts, from an article by Research Colorado:
- The University of Colorado system received more than $819 million in research funding in 2012 and has spawned over 100 companies since the mid-1990s, the vast majority of which still have operations in Colorado.
- Colorado State University in Fort Collins brings in more than $330 million per year for research and employs 7,000 people.
- Collectively, CU and CSU churn out more than 320 new patent filings annually, each one representing even more economic potential.
- Bioscience, clean technologies, environmental engineering, aerospace, and atmospheric sciences are examples of the major industry sectors that benefit from Colorado’s research universities and federal laboratories.